TOKYO! Spark the startup entrepreneur in you!
SAVE THE DATE: Friday @ 6:30 PM ~ Sunday, 9:00 PM, May 26-28, 2017 @ Bit & Innovation in Shinjuku, Tokyo. JOIN US!
NO TALK, ALL ACTION
We’re assembling the most inspired graphic artists, marketing gurus, developers, business managers and emerging entrepreneurs from across Tokyo to experience the exciting synergy of co-creating a real business in 54 hours, Friday to Sunday, May 26 ~ 28, 2017.
LEARN, NETWORK, STARTUP! The hardest part of starting up is starting out. At Startup Weekend, you’ll be immersed in the ideal environment for startup magic to happen. Over the weekend, we will pitch ideas for new startup companies, form teams around those ideas, and work to develop a working prototype, demo, or presentation by Sunday evening.
A FEMALE FOCUS! Startup Weekend is for everyone. But this weekend we celebrate female entrepreneurs! Only women are invited to pitch their startup ideas on Friday. Men can be invited by women participants, and we welcome their insights and developer, technical, design and other valuable entrepreneurial skills as part of teams.
This weekend will be conducted in English with Japanese translation available. We have also shortened the schedule to accommodate for busy moms and are currently looking into providing on-site daycare service if there is enough interest.
ABOUT STARTUP WEEKEND
Powered by Google for Entrepreneurs, Startup Weekend is a global grassroots movement of passionate entrepreneurs with a mission to inspire, educate, and empower communities to launch revolutionary ideas. It is the largest community of entrepreneurs in the world and has hosted 2000+ events in 200+ countries since 2007. Global sponsors of Startup Weekend include Coca-Cola, 3M, Sprint, Intuit, Chase Bank, .CO, and The Case Foundation. Startup Weekend Japan hosts 1-2 monthly events, on specific themes such as healthcare, education, tourism and technology. For upcoming events, visit tokyo.startupweekend.org.
Join us for a weekend of co-creation, networking, business mentoring, and vision-sharing.
Day 1: Meet, Pitch & Team Up (Friday May 26, 6:30 ~ 9:00 PM)
- 60 Seconds to Pitch: Got an idea? You’ve got 1 minute to pitch in front of the group.
- Build a Team: Whether it’s your idea or someone else’s, you’ll create a cross-functional team to work with over the weekend.
Day 2: Learn & Work (Saturday 9:00 AM ~ 9:00 PM)
- Learn from the Best: Local mentors will be coming in throughout the event to coach you through the hard problems.
- Get to Work: We’ve got the resources and support in place to make things happen in a short period of time. You’ll be responsible for everything from finding customers to building your product. We’ll be here to help when you need it.
Day 3: Present & Choose (Sunday 9:00 AM ~ 9:00 PM)
- Present in Front of Panel Judges: The culmination of the weekend. You’ll have 5 minutes to present the product or service you built to the crowd and a panel of experts.
- Celebrate: Watch the other teams present and celebrate all the work you’ve done. Get the opportunity to talk to judges and mingle with mentors.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- What is a Startup Weekend? An event in which people meet to work together to create a startup in 54 hours.
- Why a women-focused Startup Weekend? The entrepreneurial talent we see from women in Tokyo is inspiring, and we are excited about creating an event that will showcase it.
- How big are the teams? Teams of 2 to 6 (men or women) should be formed.
- What if I sign-up alone or don’t have a group? Don’t worry if you don’t know anyone attending. We will help everyone form and there will be lots of time to mingle and get to know other attendees.
- How much does Startup Weekend Tokyo Women cost? We are asking for each participant to pay 10,000 yen which will help us cover some of the food costs.
- Is it possible to get a ticket to attend the presentation session at the end of the weekend? Yes, are selling tickets for $25 to see the demo presentations
- I can miss a day?You must be able to attend for the whole workshop, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
- Who is this aimed at?Women and men of any age with programming, design, user experience, business or project management skills. No technical skills required.
- What do I need to bring? A laptop, and a desire to contribute! You must be able to attend Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
- Can men attend?Yes, 100% diverse collaboration.
- What language can I code in?Anything you desire!
- I can’t code, can I still attend? Yes! In fact, a well-rounded team of different skill sets is what we would like to see – think Hipster (designer), Hacker (programmer) and Hustler (marketing and business – growth hacker.
- I’m still not sure if I should go… There is great opportunity for women to get more involved and test their ideas, this is an opportunity to reinvent our environment and build conditions for both women and men to thrive and do more of what they love.
- What is the refund policy? No refunds will be granted within 7 days of the event if food and drink have already been ordered. Apologies for any inconvenience this may cause.
For additional event details, please visit tokyo.startupweekend.org
About Startup Weekend: Startup Weekends are 54-hour events designed to provide superior experiential education for technical and non-technical entrepreneurs. Beginning with Friday night pitches and continuing through brainstorming, business plan development, and basic prototype creation, Startup Weekends culminate in Sunday night demos and presentations. Participants create working startups during the event and are able to collaborate with like-minded individuals outside of their daily networks. All teams hear talks by industry leaders and receive valuable feedback from local entrepreneurials. The weekend is centered around action, innovation, and education. Whether you are looking for feedback on a idea, a co-founder, specific skill sets, or a team to help you execute, Startup Weekends are the perfect environment in which to test your idea and take the first steps towards launching your own startup.
Terms of Participation Agreement: It is our job to provide you with an incredible networking and learning opportunity. Our intention is that you meet some amazing people that you might actually start a company with, build relationships with coaches, and learn from your peers. The event is intended to be a collaborative forum for sharing, learning, building, and having fun. As such, by registering as a participant, you acknowledge that any ideas shared by you or anyone else over the course of the event are contributions to the overall experience and community. If you as a participant are worried about someone stealing your ideas, please reconsider your participation in the event itself or simply refrain from sharing specifics about your idea. As a member of your startup community, you agree to to be inclusive of any and all people and their ideas. You agree to act professionally, treat everyone with respect, and treat the event facilities with proper care. You agree that you are responsible for any accidents or damages that you cause. You also agree to not hold Startup Weekend, your local volunteer team, or any of the event supporters liable for any loss, damage, injury, or any other unforeseeable incident. By Participating at the event, you grant Startup Weekend permission to capture photo/video of the event. You can find the exact legal terms on our FAQ Page but to summarize, we want to share your success with the world.